Family Center Update
From the opening of the Belle Creek Family Center in 2004 until 2014, the Family Center was a self-managed facility and employed the Family Center staff. Bright Horizons operated the Early Learning Center, including School Age Child Care and Vacation/Summer Camp. Beginning in 2014, the Metro District contracted with the YMCA to operate the Family Center and provide School Age programming. They were responsible for:
- Before/After Care
- Summer Camps
- Alphabet Soup
- Community Event Planning and Hosting
- Building Repair and Maintenance
- Building Cleaning
- Programming (Yoga, Silver Sneakers, Weight Training)
- Marketing (Emails, Website and Signs)
- Staffing and Scheduling
- Managing Rentals (rooms and equipment)
The Metro District Board decided not to renew the contract with the YMCA going forward and beginning on April 1, 2020, the Metro District will be taking over the operations of the Family Center and will likely contract with an outside organization for school age programming and vacation child care.
Here are the District’s goals for this transition:
- Hire any current employees who want to continue to work with this community at the Family Center. Note that they work for the YMCA and the Metro District has no say in if they move over or continue to work with the YMCA. We suggest they do what is best for them and their families.
- Keep the same programming that is currently available and work to improve programming in the future.
- Not increase fees for programming. (Alphabet Soup, Before/After Care, etc),
- Improve communication with the community about all of the above.
This process will not be finished overnight. Many things have to change including, but not limited to; the website, the check in/out process, registration for programs, HR for employees (salary, benefits, etc) and more. The District wants to be as transparent as possible, but we also must consider contractual and legal requirements as we move through this transition. We are available to answer your questions. Please feel free to contact the District Manager, Laurie Tatlock (firstname.lastname@example.org), me (email@example.com), and/or any of the District Board Members.
Updates will be posted on our website at https://bellecreekmd.org as development occur and decisions are made.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Belle Creek Metro District No. 1 President